Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Reader Inspired Series: Can you hear it?

My heart beats louder than my mind speaks
This kind of internal volume does nothing but make my body weak
Hard to hear what you're saying over my own needs
So forgive me if I'm following my own leads
But I know me
A few days from now I'm gonna wish I didn't say yes
Think about how I keep failing my own damn test
And I know we should speak never, and fuck even less
But love lusts what lust loves so I'm-a let you caress
And all the rest
'Cause you're the best - well...not really but I'll settle for less
At least until I find more; but if I'm scared to open other doors,
How can I possibly obtain what I'm looking for?
Standing still is cowardly, and outwardly, I am that Lion
I can tell my bravado is something that nobody is buying
Then again I'm not really trying to be bought, sold, or rented
And I definitely don't need to justify my heart or defend it
But I wouldn't mind if this song its been playing was ended
It's like a loop that's been going on for years
Attracting the same kind of disillusioned ears
Who make my same eyes cry the same kind of tears

Can you hear it?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Get out of my head!!!! Very nice. And hopefully our days of settling are soon passed.

Anonymous said...

I hear it LOUD and CLEAR I feel like I'm looking into a mirror or a page out my own journal when i listen to this beat... As much as I enjoy doing my 2 step to this beat I know its time to change the dance.

NikWes said...

I've heard it and I had to change my song, it was played out like an eight track. Choose the song you want to hear...only the people that like it will listen. Choose wisely.

NikWes said...

Good post by the way...it made me think of Love Jones for some reason... Hmm Your poetry posts are the new version of Love Jones.

Don said...

Oh, not THAT fast. I feel you.


Nice prose.

Pages