Monday, May 10, 2010

This is How I Survive (Unfinished)

This is how I survive
I put one foot in front of the other and make forward steps in time
I put one thought in front of the other and that's how I change my mind
That's how I move on and get over, that's how I suffer and grow
That's why this world can either kiss my ass or acknowledge my flow
Somebody better act like they know.

This is how I survive
Cry, scream, laugh, repeat
Divulge information most would usually keep
In public forums I show the weakest part of my heart
Some people think it's insane, but that's how I shed so I can restart
The reaction others get from my poetry is my high
So while you critique my wings I'm still gonna fly
I'm still gonna cry, scream, laugh and then repeat
I'm still gonna sigh, beam, and draft with no defeat

This is how I survive
I call that really bad man who broke my heart
Let the softness in his voice remind me it wasn't always dark
I wasn't always sad I wasn't always broken
He wasn't the first or last that's gonna get me open
I wasn't the first or last to taste that kind of pain
And I remember love is never given in vain

This is how I survive
Turn the music all the way up and disturb the peace
Shake silence from my heart; fill it with beats
Doubt gets relentlessly attacked like drunken abuse,
Wife beaters on my breasts I sweat through til I'm through
Singing loud and off key
Then me panting desperately
The song ends and I smile as I catch my breath
Shower off the stress and hold on to what's left.

This is how I survive.

2 comments:

Ms. Palmer said...

I survive by crying, laughing repeating,my daughter's face and embrace & the love from all who love me. We all have our ways to survive but the real thing is that we keep on surviving anyway we know how.

Another great one!! I also survive by reading the greatness of your words.

Riri said...

Love it.

Pages